Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Is technology a homewrecker?

While doing some research for my argument essay I stumbled upon an article about how technology affects family communication.  In this article, Barbara Sorensen states that technology allows for families to keep in touch via social media and texting, but that one-on-one communication is suffering.  She also points out how television and other technologies have made it easy for families to sit down near each other and not talk for hours.  I completely agree with everything that Sorensen says in her article.  The reason why I agree is because I see it happen all the time.  Even though my family communicates a lot, every once in a while we will all be glued to our phones for a period of time without saying a word to each other.  This is something that I also see happen to other families, especially at restaurants.  It is sad that many people don't make it a point to enjoy each others company.  As an avid social media user, I think that we are better off with technology but I still don't like its repercussions.  Enjoying the company of the people around me is something that I make a point of and others should too.  Just because you use technology that doesn't mean that it has to run your life, which is a point that I think Sorensen would agree with.  Sorensen emphasizes how parents need to control social media so that it doesn't get in the way of family communication.  I think that Sorensen has the right idea in mind on how to fix the communication dilemma.  If more people could understand that they need to take control over technology and how they communicate with family members, then maybe then the decline in communication skills wouldn't be such a problem.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I think your take on this particular topic is very interesting, because I have almost the same topic, and I have the opposite opinion that technology actually does improve communication. I hope we get to peer edit each others papers because it would be interesting to read about the other side of the argument from another student like me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you phones are taking the attention of families, I know when my mom is using her phone and I try talking to her she won't hear me but in my household we aren't allowed to use our phones while sitting at the kitchen table so maybe more people should try that.

    ReplyDelete